Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Jack Morris threatens Courier with lawsuit

Jack Morris's attorney sent my publisher a letter demanding a retraction of certain points made in an editorial my publisher wrote.

The points in the attorney's letter are laughable, based on my knowledge of election law, defamation and libel, as well as Jack Morris's history of controversial projects.

We will be responding to the letter but, in my opinion, there is nothing in the editorial that meets any reasonable standard of defamation and libel and no retraction is necessary or will be forthcoming. Granted, I'm not a lawyer, but a little common sense goes a long way.

The bottom line, in my opinion: Jack Morris doesn't like his actions coming to light.

In the very least, we got a good laugh over at Courier on production day. I can't really print my publisher's comical statement as to what he wants to mail back to Morris as his "official" response.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 1:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd love to see the text of the letter. Just so I can be prepared for when I get one. --mb

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger Jackie Corley said...

i have the letter but i'm going to refrain from posting or e-mailing it (or our attorney's response).

feel free to e-mail about some of your previous experiences in journalism any time: jcorley@gmail.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home