Saturday, January 14, 2006

Fatigue

I need to post a bunch of source documents for the Lynch story since I promised to do that right after the New Year. I doubt anybody's pining away for a new set of dull ELEC report posts, but, essentially, this blog is supposed to exist just to house my source docs. Anyway, just wanted to say I haven't forgotten, I've just been incredibly fatigued by all the work on this website redesign business. It might take a few more weeks, but I'll get there.

I found this comment yesterday on a post on TheMediaDrop.com about that infamous pulled story:
Oh dear - NOT FOUND!
So much for a pub trying to hold back a story.
Jackie Corley is a very talented writer who works for a paper that does not appreciate her talents. They are only interested in Jackie fronting the agenda they are churning out. It is my hope that she tires of this nonsense and find work at a reputable paper where she will allowed to grow into the writer she's destined to be.

Posted by: FreedomOfSpeech at January 1, 2006 05:13 PM

I love how I'm perceived as being in the clutches of some cloaked, nefarious organization. Naturally, because I'm 23 and lacking a pair of testicles, I'm too ignorant to make my own decisions or avoid having naivete block any and all rational thought.

...or maybe The Courier conspiracy theories aren't what they're cracked up to be. Maybe I was actually the one who lobbied hard for the Aberdeen-Matawan Train Station story to see the light of day. Maybe Joe Azzolina and Jim Purcell are actually generous, honest and decent human beings. (And maybe the people who make such grand judgments on them should actually have a conversation with them or at least see them in person before frothing at the mouth.) Maybe the people who work at Courier love the place and the work they do. Maybe these Courier staffer blogs exist because the place is much more open and honest than other newsrooms. Maybe the reporters believe that we're given much more independence in the storylines we pursue and how we pursue them than our peers are.

I learned absolutely everything I know about journalism from my time at The Courier. If I'm a decent writer, it has everything to do with Jim Purcell, Shom Sengupta and Darlene Franklin.

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

At 2:19 AM, Blogger DS Irvin said...

There is a man going round taking names. Voices calling, voices crying. Some are born, some are dying. And now another day is gone and across the dark and distant moon there springs forth a dream that has come to life, yet again, in the mind of a little woman.

I wonder if we are given the freedom to begin a news story like that?

Perhaps not. But, I will find a way.

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Art Gallagher said...

"Naturally, because I'm 23 and lacking a pair of testicles, I'm too ignorant to make my own decisions or avoid having naivete block any and all rational thought."

You got that right Jackie, except for the testicle part. All smart men know that women are smarter than we are.

If its true that all you've learned you learned at The Courier...well either way, you still have alot to learn.

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger Downtowner said...

What does that mean?

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger Jackie Corley said...

Doug -- Nope, I don't think you're ever going to be able to write that for a lede. Good start to a prose piece, though.

Seward -- People will say what they want to say about The Courier or me and my abilities as a reporter. I don't claim to be much, I just try to do my job to the best of my ability.

I have nothing but positive things to say about my time at The Courier. I never took a journalism course and I never worked on a school newspaper before coming here. So, quite literally, all I've learned about journalism I've learned here.

People either love the paper or hate it. Nothing I do or say is going to change anyone's opinion of it.

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger Art Gallagher said...

jim purcell said:
What does that mean?

It means Jackie is " too ignorant to make my own decisions or avoid having naivete block any and all rational thought."

Not because of her gender, but because of her youth and inexperiance.

A better mentor wouldn't hurt her either.

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Jackie Corley said...

Jim was referring to Doug's post. Yours wasn't listed until after Jim had already posted.

 
At 9:49 PM, Blogger David Krewson said...

Without a doubt Jackie Corley is the most talented reporter on The Courier staff.
Her reporting is fair and balanced and further, as an investigative reporter, she has unconvered some dirty laundry in Monmouth County that that no one wanted to bring to the surface.
Good for her and thank God The Courier has the balls to tell the truth.

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger Jackie Corley said...

that's very kind of you and i greatly appreciate the compliment. but really, i'm just part of a great team.

thank you very much.

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger Honest Abe said...

"I love how I'm perceived as being in the clutches of some cloaked, nefarious organization."

I would lay odds on neither Purcell nor Azzolina even owning a cloak.;-p

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger Jackie Corley said...

Purcell does have a hat with a fedora though.

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger Honest Abe said...

Well, there ya go!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home