Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Silly bloggers

It seems this little Monmouth County blogging party has really exploded.

For all the insightful debate, quite a bit of silliness has erupted. I'll certainly admit my part in the ruckus. Nevertheless, there's nothing I've said here that I wouldn't say to some one face-to-face.

I never expected quite as many eyes to see this blog as there apparently have been. And I must say that I never took blogging very seriously. (I really just wanted to list my source documents so that people could make up their own minds as to the issues I was reporting.)

This little post is just to say that I'll be weighing my words in the blogosphere much more carefully from now on. The silliness was fun but I believe I've missed quite a number of opportunities to write more interesting commentary.

So, in the interest of getting back on topic, I'd like to post this Monmouth-related political question (and I'm dead serious about this):

When do you think Jen Beck's gonna run for governor?

I'm pretty skeptical when it comes to public officials, and I thought that both Panter and Morgan were excellent legislators the past two years, but I'm very impressed with Jen Beck.

The pre-filing of a repeal of S-1701 was a homerun, in my book. Anyone involved with (or involved with reporting on) boards of education knows what a disaster the bill has been for school districts. And yet nothing was really done about it at the state level. Beck could have sat back for a breather after a pretty stressful post-election period, but she didn't. She took on an issue that affects anyone with a child or (in my case) a young sibling still in the public school system. Her pre-filing showed that she has her finger on the pulse of New Jersey. I'm really eager to see what she's going to accomplish in the years to come.

So, yeah, I'm skipping right past the speculation of whether or not Beck's going to run for state Sen. Ellen Karcher's position and heading probably 10 years down the pike: Do you think we're going to see a Gov. Beck?

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 12:45 AM, Blogger Art Gallagher said...

Jackie,

Thanks for leading the way.

I'm not sure I agree with the repeal of S-1701, I probably don't.

But a do agree that Jen Beck is on the rise, and is one of the few bright lights on the GOP horizon statewide.

I'd like to see her make a run in the 2009 primary...and she could win it. John Murphy is probably positioned as the GOP front runner and this point, and he is a empty suit. Unless a Republican gozillionaire enters the ring, Jen could make a statewide name for herself in 2009 and win the job in 2013

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Jackie Corley said...

School district budgets need to be kept on a tighter rope than they were in the past, but S-1701 was an ill-conceived, half-baked plan thrown together by the McGreevey administration at the last minute. The restrictions it places on school districts are just plain impractical.

John Murphy is very well-positioned and he's spread quite a great deal of money around to county organizations. I don't think he's quite an empty suit.

Beck is an ideal candidate for the GOP but she's going to have to find a way to compete with the hefty money bags mulling around.

Hopefully a state party leader will recognize her potential and take her under wing. Then again, she's probably made more than her fair share of solid connections in Trenton as a legislative aide and then lobbyist.

Anybody underestimating Jen Beck is a fool.

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger Honest Abe said...

In order for any Republican to be elected governor, they must distinguish themself as a leader, and take stands on issues. Real stands. None of the "I'm not Jim Florio/Jim McGreevey/Bob Toricelli/Jon Corzine/sovoteforme" types will make it.
If Jen can distinguish herself, and so far it looks like she will, she can go far.

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger Art Gallagher said...

John's a Freeholder, a Fireman and a stockbroker. He's a nice guy with a pretty face, but not gubenitorial material.

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger Jackie Corley said...

Mike,

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Beck's speech was incredible. I live in the 13th District as well. Wish I could have voted for her.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home